The Community College of Aurora EMS Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (www.caahep.org) upon the recommendation of the Committee on Accreditation of Educational Programs for the Emergency Medical Services Professions (CoAEMSP).
EMT CLASS – EMS 121 (12 Credit Hours)
- Corequisites: EMS 122, EMS 123, EMS 124, and EMS 170
- Prerequisites: All incoming EMT students are required to take the Allied Health Program’s Health Occupations Basic Entrance Test - HOBET V UNLESS you already have a degree or have successfully completed accredited 100 level English, Math and Science courses with a grade of “C” or better. Testing students must score into or above, Category G (minimum scores: Comprehensive 52.20%, Reading 62.60%, Math 57.20%, English 54.80%, and Science 38.50%). The HOBET V test is available in the Testing Center on the CentreTech Campus. Students must also be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident and be 18 years old before clinical assignment.
The Community College of Aurora offers EMT as the introductory program for any individual with an interest in prehospital emergency medicine. This progrm is an innovative alternative to EMT courses offered by other agencies. The education revolves around the latest in simulation studio technology which integrates EMT knowledge and real-life practical skills. EMT will provide entry-level EMS education for the student. Upon successful completion of this program, including written and practical examinations, and being at least 18 years of age, candidates are eligible to take the National Registry of Emergency Techinicians (NREMT) EMT Certification Examination which is required to become EMT certified in Colorado.
PARAMEDIC PHASE I – EMS 225 (16 Credit Hours)
- Corequisites: EMS 226, EMS 229, EMS 233, and EMS 235
- Prerequisites: All incoming Paramedic students are required to take the Allied Health Program’s Health Occupations Basic Entrance Test - HOBET V UNLESS you already have a degree or have successfully completed accredited 100 level English, Math, and Science courses with a grade of “C” or better. Testing students must score into or above, Category L (minimum scores: Comprehensive 60.00%, Reading 70.30%, Math 67.90%, English 58.50%, and Science 47.40%). The HOBET V test is available in the Testing Center on the CentreTech Campus. Students must also have Basic Anatomy and Physiology (BIO 106) or Human Anatomy and Physiology I (BIO 201) with grade “C” or higher; Current National Registry/Colorado EMT certification(s); IV & current CPR certifications; and acceptance to the CCA EMS Program.
Serves as the first course of the National Standard Paramedic Curriculum as approved by the Colorado State Department of Health and Environment.
PARAMEDIC PHASE II – EMS 227 (17 Credit Hours)
- Corequisites: EMS 228, EMS 230, EMS 231, EMS 232, EMS 234, EMS 236, and EMS 237
- Prerequisite: Paramedic Phase I/EMS 225 and corequisite course completion
The Community College of Aurora offers Paramedic Phase II as the next step to achieving a paramedic education. Paramedic Phase II will provide a comprehensive and complete education for the student. This course will surpass the traditional Paramedic course offered by other agencies in several areas.
PARAMEDIC PHASE III – EMS 280 (12 Credit Hours)
- Corequisite: EMS 281 with Instructor Permission (dependent upon student & clinical/field hours accumulated) Please Note: Students who do not accumulate enough hours will have to take EMS 281 the following semester to complete the program.
- Prerequisite: Paramedic Phase II/EMS 227 and corequesite course completion
Phase III is the Internship Phase of the Program. The intent of this phase is to practically integrate the knowledge that was delivered during Phase I & II.