Español is a Romance language originally from the northern area of Spain. It is the only official language covering the entirety of Spain, most Latin American countries and one of the official languages of Equatorial guinea.
The language was spoken by roughly 364 million people worldwide in the year 2000, making Spanish the most popular Romance language, and probably making it the third most spoken language in the world by total number of speakers. It is also the second most widely spoken language in the United States and arguably the most popular foreign language for study in US schools and Universities
Within the globalized market, there is currently an international expansion and recognition of the Spanish language in business, literature, the film industry, television, and music.
Why take Spanish at CCA?
- Spanish is a skill. It is something that you know how to do. A daily average of 1,100 jobs in the metro area list the ability of speaking Spanish as a required skill.
- Have you ever thought about how many people will graduate with the same degree as you? The ability to speak Spanish will get you ahead of the competition!
- According to the 2010 census, 30% of the Aurora population is Hispanic, and 21% of this population only speaks Spanish. Globalization is a reality in Aurora. Be part of it.
- Most Colorado universities require one year of a foreign language prior to graduation. Don’t wait until your last year of college to meet the requirement!
- You will save a lot of money in books because the same textbook is used in Spanish 111, 112, 211, and 212. Plus, books are not required in Spanish 235 and Spanish 275.
- We offer two scaffold degrees: the Language Achievement Certificate and the Associate of Arts degree with Spanish designation.
- If you already have prior knowledge of Spanish, you can test out of one or more courses with the Challenge exams. And why don’t invest those tuition savings in other Spanish courses that lead you to one or both or our degrees?
- If you are a Heritage Speaker (you grew up speaking Spanish at home), test out of the first four Spanish courses (SPA 111-212), take SPA 235 and SPA 275, and get the AA degree with Spanish designation. You will save money on textbooks, tuition, and fees. And you reduce your graduation date by a few semesters!
- We implement the On Course: Strategies for Creating Success in College and in Life. These strategies will help you be successful in all your classes. The goal is study smart, not hard!