Sex Offender Registry

The federal Campus Sex Crimes Prevention Act of 2000 (CSCPA), which became law October 28, 2000, but which delayed certain provisions until October 28, 2002, amends the Jacob Wetterling Crimes Against Children and Sexually Violent Offender Registration Act.

You can access the sexual offenders map on the Colorado Bureau of Investigation, convicted sex offender site.

CSCPA provides special requirements relating to registration and community notification for sex offenders who are enrolled in or work at institutions of higher education. In addition to the Wetterling Act, CSCPA also amended the Clery Act, an annual crime reporting law, and the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 to allow the disclosure of this information regarding students.

As provided in the Wetterling Act, any person required to register under a state sex offender registration program must notify the state regarding each institution of higher education in the State of which the person is employed, carries on a vocation, or is a student and must also alert the state of any change in enrollment or employment status. In the state of Colorado, convicted sex offenders must register with the Colorado Sex Offender site maintained by the Colorado Bureau of Investigation. In accordance to the CSCPA, Community College of Aurora provides a link to the Colorado Sex Offender Registry.

The Colorado Sex Offender Registry Law is available via Internet pursuant to Colorado Revised Statute 16-22-110. Registry information provided under this section shall be used for the purposes of the administration of criminal justice, screening of current or prospective employees, volunteers or otherwise for the protection of the public in general and children in particular. Unlawful use of the information for purposes of intimidating or harassing another is prohibited and willful violation shall be punishable as a Class 1 misdemeanor.

Persons seeking information about registered sex offenders residing within a specific geographic area which serves our campuses may contact their local police or sheriff’s office.

Apply NowGet Info



Main Menu