Advising FAQs

FAQ Topics

Placement Testing
Degrees and Certificates

Holds and Registration Errors
Transfer Students


What should I do before I see an advisor?

1. If you are new to CCA, you will need to visit the Testing Center and bring any of following items:

  • High school transcript
  • ACT/SAT scores
  • Accuplacer Test scores if taken within the last 5 years.
  • Unofficial transcripts from other colleges you have attended if you have them.
    • Many colleges allow you to print transcripts from their websites if you don’t have them.
    • Unofficial transcripts can be used in advising, to meet course prerequisites, and to get registered.
  • If you don't have any of these items, that's ok! Contact the Testing Center about how to place into classes.

2. Now you're ready to see an Advisor!

  • Bring your unofficial college transcripts to your appointment
  • Have your S number ready (you can find it in your acceptance email from CCA)
  • Make sure you are able to log in to your MyCCA account
    • Having trouble logging in? You will need to contact IT to have them reset your password. Call them at 1-888-800-9198
  • If you appointment is virtual, make sure you have a laptop or computer available so you can register for classes

If you want to transfer credits, official transcripts must be sent to CCA directly from the college(s) you attended:

Have your school directly send official transcripts electronically via email to:

Or you can have official transcripts mailed directly to:

C/O Credentials Evaluator
Community College of Aurora
16000 E CentreTech Pkwy
Aurora, CO 80011


Placement Testing [Top]

Do I need to take the placement test?

Does the ACCUPLACER  and/or LOEP test cost money?

Yes, the ACCUPLACER and LOEP tests do have a small fee that is required. Cost for Test Services.

How do I study for the ACCUPLACER or LOEP test?

CCA has study guides and conducts review sessions for students to help them prepare for taking assessments. We highly recommend that students take advantage of these materials to ensure proper placement. Studying can save you time and money in the long run! Information on studying for the ACCUPLACER and LOEP tests.

What are my options if I don't score high enough to place into a course?

Students may take the ACCUPLACER or LOEP tests twice in a 3 year period. It is recommended that students study and utilize CCA and the Colorado Community College System resources to brush up on skills before attempting to take the tests a second time. Find out more information about if you don't place into a course.

Are there exemptions for taking the assessment test?

Yes. Previous college experience or recent ACT/SAT test scores may be used for placement purposes. Find out more about Testing Exemptions. 

Do I have to take developmental classes?

Whether or not students have to take developmental courses depends on their assessment test scores. Your advisor will help you determine what classes you should enroll in. Students must complete their developmental courses during their first 30 credit hours at CCA.


Programs - Degrees and Certificates [Top]

What programs does CCA offer?

CCA offers many degree and certificate programs to help students transfer or learn skills to help students attain new jobs or increase their knowledge-base. 

Degree and Certificates

What is the difference between an Associate of Applied Science, Associate of Arts, Associated of Science, Associate of General Studies, and Certificates?

  • Associate of Arts and Associate of Science (AA/AS) degrees are designed to transfer to a four-year college. CCA offers many programs in designated fields to help make transfer even easier!
  • Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degrees are designed to develop skills for entry-level employment or to upgrade skills to improve your opportunity for advancement within an existing position.  An AAS is not designed to transfer to a university, although some classes may still transfer.
  • Certificates are designed to develop skills for entry-level employment or emphasize skills in a particular area of study. Typically they take one year or less to complete.

How will an advisor help me with my degree or certificate?

Academic advisors can help you determine the correct degree or certificate program based on your future educational or career goals and help you determine what classes you should take toward earning that degree or certificate. An advisor can help you complete a Degree or Certificate Change Form to make your change official with Admissions, Records, and Registration.

Advisors do not help students determine a career path. If you do not know what you would like to do, Create an account at CCA Career Corner 


Holds and registration errors [Top]

I have a registration hold, what should I do?

There are many different types of registration holds that can affect your ability to register for classes. Please call 303-360-4700 for information on the hold. A CCA representative will be able to let you know the reason for the registration hold on your account and help direct you to the appropriate department to resolve the hold.

I tried to register for a class but couldn't because of a prerequisite error. What can I do?

Prerequisite errors usually occur because you haven't met the Math or English requirement to enroll in the course and advisors can assist with but they may also occur because you haven't taken another class that is required.

I have a registration hold because of my academic standing. What does this mean and how do I get it resolved so that I can register?

All colleges in the Colorado Community College System (CCCS) share the same academic progress policy and you may be on suspension with CCA or with one of the other CCCS colleges. See the CCA catalog for information on the policy and the appeals process.

What is the advisor's role in approving my suspension?

Once you have put together your suspension appeal, you will be required to meet with an pathways advisor. The advisor will review your educational record with you, read your appeal letter, and discuss the reasons for the suspension as well as how you plan on being successful with your educational plans going forward. If the advisor feels that you have resolved the issues that prevented you from being successful in the past and believes that you will be successful going forward they will approve your appeal. Please be aware that there may be some restrictions regarding your classes or the number of credit hours that you will be allowed to take during your first semester back from a suspension. 


Transferring to CCA [Top]

I am a transfer student. Do I need to take the assessment test?

Whether you need to take the ACCUPLACER test depends on the colleges you have attended and the courses you completed. An academic advisor will review your prior transcripts with you to determine appropriate class placement or whether you will need to take the ACCUPLACER.

I attended another college - will my classes transfer?

Transfer of classes depends on a number of things: where you previously attended college, when you attended, and whether the course applies toward the requirements for your program at CCA.

If you want to transfer credits, official transcripts must be sent to CCA directly from the college(s) you attended:

Have your school directly send official transcripts electronically via email to:

Or you can have official transcripts mailed directly to:

C/O Credentials Evaluator
Community College of Aurora
16000 E CentreTech Pkwy
Aurora, CO 80011

Apply NowGet Info



Main Menu