Community College of Aurora

2015-2016 Academic Catalog

Getting Started and Admissions

Getting Started Checklist

Starting college is a big step, but we're here to help. The CCA website and following pages of this catalog include details on how to get started.

Step 1: Apply for Admission - If you are new to CCA or have been away from CCA for a year or more, you need to complete the online application for admission. There is no deadline or fee to apply.

Step 2: If you are a Colorado resident for tuition purposes and did not sign-up for COF through your admissions application, you can sign-up online. The COF application is free and can save you hundreds of dollars each semester on your tuition. This is a onetime application but you need to authorize COF each semester.

Step 3: Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at to see if you are eligible for any kind of aid (grants, loans, work study and scholarships). The application process can take 6-8 weeks to complete, so apply early! CCA has three priority consideration dates during the year. Fall Semester-May 1, Spring Semester-November 1, Summer Semester-April 1. Your financial aid file is not complete until you receive an award letter. CCA’s Federal School Code is 016058. Need help completing the FAFSA? Please call 303 340-7093 for more information.

Please Note: Step 4 is different for New Students and Transfer/Readmit Students. Be sure to follow the step 4 that applies to you.

Step 4 - New Students: If you have never attended college after High School, you are required to participate in CCA Express, a one-day, fast track orientation that includes all important elements of starting at CCA. You will have a hold placed on your account to prevent registration until you have participated. During orientation you will:

  • Meet the Assessment Requirement In order to register for classes, all students must meet assessment requirements in the areas of math, reading and English. You must do one of the following:
    • Take the placement test to assess your current academic skill level. It is important to be prepared for the test so that you can be placed into the appropriate courses. Before you take the test, you are strongly encouraged to review the assessment workbook and attend an assessment prep workshop.
    • Provide a copy of ACT or SAT scores (no more than five years old) prior to your orientation date with the following minimum scores: ACT: Reading 17, English 18, Math 19 SAT: 440 Critical Reading/Verbal, Math 460
  • See an Academic Advisor & Register for Classes - During Orientation you will meet individually with an Academic Advisor who will be able to guide you in selecting the right courses to complete a degree or certificate at CCA and/ or to transfer to the 4-year institution of your choice. The Advisor will also assist you in registering for classes during your orientation meeting.

Step 4 - Transfer or Readmit Students:

  • Transfer to CCA - CCA awards credit for prior learning. Students who have previously attended another college or who have ACE, AP, CLEP, DANTES, IB, or other college-level learning are encouraged to visit the Transferring to CCA page for more information.
  • Meet the Assessment Requirement - All students must meet assessment requirements in the areas of math, reading and English to register for courses. You must do one of the following:
    • Take the placement test to assess your current academic skill level. It is important to be prepared for the test so that you can be placed into the appropriate courses. Before you take the test, you are strongly encouraged to review the assessment workbook and attend an assessment prep workshop.
    • Provide a copy of ACT or SAT scores (no more than five years old) with the following minimum scores: ACT: Reading 17, English 18, Math 19 or SAT: 440 Critical Reading/Verbal, Math 460
    • Provide your Academic Advisor with an unofficial copy of college transcripts from a regionally accredited institution showing successful completion of math and English coursework. Please note that English courses taken outside of the United States do not meet Assessment or Transfer guidelines.
  • See an Academic Advisor - After meeting assessment requirements, you are ready to meet with an Academic Advisor. Your Advisor will be able to help you select the right courses to complete a degree or certificate at CCA and/or to transfer to the 4-year institution of your choice.
  • Register for Courses - Complete the Student Account Payment Agreement from the Add/Drop Classes link in MyCCA and register for courses through your MyCCA account (link available from CCA’s website). Remember to print your schedule a few days before the semester begins to get current room information.

Step 5: Don’t lose your spot in your classes! Each semester, CCA publishes a tuition due-date. You must have your payment arrangements FINALIZED by this deadline to hold your spot in classes. CCA recommends that you complete a payment plan as soon as you register. Signing up early allows you a small (or zero) down payment and spreads out your payments over several months. Financial Aid will only hold your spot in classes if you have received an award letter.

Step 6: Take your schedule to the bookstore to purchase your books. Buy your books before classes begin to be prepared.

Step 7: Stop by the Welcome Center at the CentreTech Campus or Lowry Student Services office with government issued photo ID to get your CCA Student ID card.

Step 8: Your college email account is the official method of communication at CCA, so it is extremely important that you activate your account and check it frequently. To activate your account, login to your MyCCA account and click the “Student Email” link at the top of the page. Your initial password is your date of birth spelled out (for example: February141992).

Step 9: A little more than a week after you register for classes, your Higher One Debit card will arrive in the mail (look for the bright green envelope). This card will be used to apply your financial aid or any other refund so it is important that you look for the card and activate it when it arrives!

New Student Advising

All new students who have never attended college are required to meet with an academic advisor during new student orientation. New student advising will provide students with information about academic programs and certificates and degree options. Students will also receive information and assistance needed to select and enroll in appropriate coursework, receive assistance with creating class schedules, and learn how to register for classes.

Student Types

New Students

Individuals who have never attended an institution of higher education must complete the application for admission and attend New Student Orientation. New students pursuing a degree or certificate are required to take assessment tests and meet with advisors to register for their first semester. Please see the Admissions Policy section of this catalog for further information. Students are encouraged to keep in contact with academic advisors throughout their educational programs.

Transfer Students

Students who have previously attended any college must complete the application for admission indicating any prior colleges attended. Transfer students pursuing a degree or certificate at CCA are required to meet assessment requirements. Transfer students should meet with academic advisors to register for the first semester and are encouraged to keep in contact with academic advisors.

To initiate the transfer process, students should complete the Transfer Credit Evaluation form available from the Transfer to CCA link on the CCA Getting Started Checklist. CCA's Credentials Evaluator will transfer in appropriate courses after students have done all of the following:

  • Complete the Transfer Credit Evaluation Form
  • Request that all colleges previously attended send official transcripts directly to CCA
  • Please visit for transfer details.

Re-Admit Students

Former students returning to the Community College of Aurora after an absence of three or more consecutive semesters must complete the online Application form for readmission.

High School Students Participating in the Concurrent Enrollment Program

High school students enrolling under the Concurrent Enrollment program need to do the following:

  1. Meet with their High School Counselor to discuss eligibility and receive required paperwork.
  2. Complete the online CCA Application and apply for the Colorado Opportunity Fund (COF).
  3. Complete the CCA assessment test or provide ACT/SAT scores that meet course prerequisites.
  4. Complete the Concurrent Enrollment Agreement and Registration Form with all signatures. Registration dates and times will be scheduled for students who have completed the Concurrent Enrollment Agreement and are approved by the school district to take CCA classes. Check with your school district for information related to tuition and fees. You will be responsible for the cost of textbooks and supplies. For additional information, call the Concurrent Enrollment department at 303-340-7513.

High School Students not Participating in the Concurrent Enrollment Program

Students need to do the following:

  1. Complete a new student application for admission.
  2. Students 16 and under are required to submit a Request for Waiver of Admission Requirements form and follow the steps in the form.
  3. Sign up for the College Opportunity Fund (COF).
  4. Complete the CCA assessment test or provide ACT/SAT scores that meet the minimum requirement.
  5. Register for classes with an Academic Advisor.
  6. Pay for tuition, student fees, books, and supplies.

For additional information, call 303-360-4797.

International Students

The college is authorized under federal law to enroll non-immigrant alien students. An international student (F-1) is a student who is not a U.S. citizen and is not classified by U.S. Immigration as a resident alien. These students must see the international student advisor in the Advising Department, CentreTech Campus, Administration Building, Room A106, 303-340-7508. For information regarding I-20 Review Session (including dates and times), go to or call 303-340-7508. International students are required to submit the following documents:

  1. The international student application for admission, available online.
  2. Submit all prior academic credentials (high school or equivalent).
  3. A statement confirming financial resources are sufficient, as determined by the college, to provide for stay in the United States. All financial information must be provided in U.S. dollars and in English.
  4. Demonstrate/Document English Proficiency Level using one of the following options
    • All students must take the Accuplacer at CCA in order to take College level courses.
    • Students who are interested in taking only English language courses will be issued an I-20 for "Language Training-ESL" and in this case, TOEFL scores are not required and the student will not be required to take the assessment test. Students will, however, take the LOEP (Level of English Proficiency) test at CCA to determine their current level of English ability.
    • If the student has previously taken and passed a College-level course at a U.S. college, he or she may submit an official transcript showing completion of the course.
  5. Medical insurance for one year must be purchased at time of registration, unless proof of medical and accident coverage in the United States can be provided.
  6. Payment of a $75 non-refundable application charge.
  7. Full tuition payment is due one week before classes begin each semester.

Form I-20 will not be issued to an international student until all of the above documents are on file in Enrollment Services and a decision to admit the student has been made. International students should allow sufficient time to gather and submit all required documentation so that an admissions decision and visa approval can be made.

The application and approval process can take up to six months for first-time applications and approximately 30 days for transfer applications. The earlier students apply, the better their chances are for a timely approval. Although CCA suggests early application, the college will not issue an I-20 after the deadlines in the chart below:



First-Time or

Current International
Students Seeking Transfer


May 15

July 15


September 15

November 30


February 15

April 30

International students must meet with the international student advisor in the Advising Department, CentreTech Campus, Administration Building, Room A100 prior to registering for courses. International students must also comply with the following requirements:

  1. Immigration requirements with respect to the number of credit hours taken at their home campus. United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) regulations require that foreign students on F-1 or M-1 visas carry and complete a full course of study (minimum of 12 credit hours per spring and fall semesters) and that they complete their educational objectives within a reasonable period of time. Any extensions to the reported completion dates must be requested of the international student advisor and reported to ICE at least 30 days prior.
  2. Placement testing must be taken before course registration; students are required to follow course placement in English, mathematics, and reading as determined by the placement test scores.
  3. International students must pay full tuition one week before classes start each semester.
  4. Provisions of the Academic Standards of Progress Policy must be followed.
  5. Off-campus work is not allowed without prior permission of the international student advisor and ICE.
  6. The international student advisor must be notified of any address change (both local and abroad) within 10 days of change.

Admissions Policy

Students seeking admission to the Community College of Aurora should submit an application for admission online at and click on the Apply & Register link. Staff are available to assist students in completing the application on site in the Admissions, Registration and Records office, CentreTech Campus, Administration Building, Room A102 and at the Lowry Campus in the Lowry Student Services Office, West Quad, Room 119.

The college practices an "open door" admissions policy, which means that entry is generally unrestricted; however, the college reserves the right to place students in classes on the basis of academic advising, testing, pre-enrollment interviews, and past educational achievement. Certain college programs have specific admission requirements as well. The following minimum requirements are used as guidelines for admission:

  1. All individuals, 17 years of age or older, who have a high school diploma, a General Education Development (GED) certificate, or are not enrolled in high school, are admitted.
  2. Students younger than 17 must complete a Request for Waiver of Admission Requirements form, obtained from either the Admissions, Registration and Records office or Lowry Student Services. This form must be approved by the Director of Advising and the College President. An admission decision will be based on a student’s academic history, determination of ability to benefit from college level instruction, and overall educational goals.
  3. All new students must take the CCA approved assessment test or have appropriate ACT or SAT scores from a test taken within the last five years. State Board Policy requires that colleges assess their students to determine their levels of English, mathematics, and reading, and if needed, that students take developmental courses within their first 30 hours at the college.

All new students must meet Assessment Requirements which can be met in one of the following ways:

  • Evidence of an Associate of Arts or Associate of Science Degree or higher
  • Evidence of a C or higher in prior College Level English and Math courses (Please note that English courses taken outside the United States do not meet the Assessment or Transfer guidelines)
  • Qualifying ACT or SAT scores that are less than 5 years old
  • Qualifying approved assessment scores that are less than 5 years old
  • English speaking ability is also required. If English is not your native language, you may be required to take the LOEP exam

ACT, SAT and college placement scores will be used to determine placement in both college-level and developmental education courses as appropriate. Please see the current class schedule for placement and prerequisite requirements.

All degree or certificate seeking students must meet Assessment Requirements. All students seeking to register for a course with prerequisites must meet Assessment Requirements (regardless of degree/certificate status). All students under the age of 20 must meet Assessment Requirements (regardless of degree/certificate status).

Admission to the college does not guarantee acceptance of a student into a particular course or program. Some students may need to enroll in certain courses to compensate for scholastic deficiencies or to meet established prerequisites. The college reserves the right to review and revoke the enrollment of any person who appears to be unable to profit from further education, as well as of those persons whose enrollment would not be beneficial to them or to the college and in accordance with Board Policy BP 4-10. The policy is online at Students who enroll in an occupational program, who receive financial aid, or who are on F-1 or M-1 student visa status must declare their degree or certificate program at the time of registration. Any changes in the declared degree or certificate must be recorded with the Admissions, Registration and Records office, and if the student is a financial aid recipient, with the Financial Aid office.

The Community College of Aurora does not require physical examinations as a condition for admission. Students who have a disability or who otherwise have special needs are encouraged to contact the Accessibility office located in the Learning Resource Center, CentreTech Campus, Student Centre Building, Room S202, 303-361-7395 (V/TDD). This office provides academic support and accommodations to students with documented disabilities at no cost.

Residency Determination for Tuition Classification

Tuition classification is governed by state law (Title 23, Article 7, of the Colorado Revised Statutes of 1973, as amended) and by judicial decisions that apply to all public institutions of higher education in Colorado and is subject to change at any time. The college is required to apply the rules set forth in the law and does not have authority to make exceptions unless specifically permitted by law.

In-state status requires domicile in Colorado for one year prior to the first day of class. Domicile is defined as an individual’s true, fixed, and permanent home and place of habitation. An individual may only have one domicile at any one time.

At the beginning of the one year period, individuals are expected to take appropriate actions to demonstrate the intent to remain in Colorado permanently. This includes, but is not limited to:

  • surrendering legal ties with their former state of residence,
  • obtaining Colorado Driver’s License/Identification within the statutory period,
  • registering motor vehicle within the statutory period,
  • registering to vote in Colorado,
  • obtaining permanent employment in Colorado,
  • filing income tax in Colorado,
  • any other factors that document the individual’s intent to establish a permanent home in Colorado.

Individuals are qualified to begin the one year domicile period upon reaching 22 years of age, and thus would satisfy the one year domicile requirement at 23 years of age. The one year domicile period also begins upon marriage or emancipation if the individual is under 22 years of age. Individuals under the age of 23 are eligible for in-state tuition if a parent or court-appointed legal guardian meets the requirements of the tuition law.

The tuition law recognizes the special circumstances regarding military personnel, honorably discharged veterans, Olympic athletes, inmates, and recent Colorado high school graduates or GED recipients. Eligible non-U.S. citizens must provide immigration documents, which may include, but is not limited to I-94 Arrival-Departure Record, Permanent Resident Card, or other required documents.

Active duty members of the armed forces, as well as their spouse and dependent children, whose permanent duty station is in Colorado will be charged in-state tuition, even if the permanent duty station changes, as long as the student (armed forces member, their spouse or dependent child) is continually enrolled in classes. Service members should contact their military base Education Office for documentation which should be submitted to the Admissions & Records Office each semester.

Colorado ASSET Bill

Senate Bill 13-033, also known as the Colorado ASSET Bill, allows U.S. Citizens, Permanent Residents, and students without lawful status to receive in-state tuition through attendance and graduation from a Colorado high school or through attendance at a Colorado high school combined with obtaining the GED. Students may gain residency through meeting these requirements instead of following the traditional domicile path. This is the only way for undocumented students to receive in-state tuition.

To qualify for Colorado ASSET in-state tuition, an undocumented student must:

  • Have attended a public or private high school in Colorado for at least three years immediately before graduation or completed a general equivalency diploma (GED) in Colorado. Three years is defined as six academic terms from three separate years immediately preceding graduation or completing the Colorado GED.
  • Be admitted to a Colorado college or university within 12 months of graduation from a Colorado high school or completion of a Colorado GED or graduated from a Colorado high school or completed a Colorado GED before September 1, 2013 and have continuous physical presence in Colorado for 18 months preceding the start of the semester.
  • Apply for COF and complete an affidavit with the College Opportunity Fund indicating that you have applied for legal presence or will apply as soon as you are eligible to do so.
  • As with the traditional domicile path, residency classification will be determined based off the information and documents submitted by the student. The burden of proof is on the individual seeking instate tuition.

Initial Classification

Students are classified as resident or non-resident for tuition purposes based on the information provided on the Application for Admission. Failure to answer all questions could lead to initial classification as a nonresident. After the student’s status is determined, it remains unchanged in the absence of satisfactory evidence to the contrary.

Change in Tuition Classification

New students who believe their initial tuition classification was based on incomplete information and wish to prove eligibility must submit a Correction Form by the census (drop) date of the earliest part-of-term in which they are enrolled. Continuing students who attended and paid non-resident tuition or individuals emancipated prior to 22 years of age shall have up to 30 days from the first day of class to complete the Petition for In-State Tuition.

Information submitted to qualify for in-state classification is subject to independent verification and will not be returned to students. Individuals submitting false information or falsified supporting documents are subject to both criminal charges and college disciplinary proceedings.

Tuition Classification for Reverse Transfer Degrees

When awarding a Reverse Transfer Degree to a non-active student, CCA will use the last known residency as listed in CCA’s student information system. This will not impact tuition classification as the student will have a registration hold placed for the term in which the degree is being awarded. Students will be made inactive for any future terms and must reapply for admission if they seek re-enrollment at CCA.

Appeal Procedure

Students who are denied in-state tuition will not be allowed to drop courses after the census date. Students are responsible for dropping all courses by census date even if a decision on the Petition for In-State Tuition has not yet been received or agree to pay the out of state tuition rate. Students who are denied in-state tuition may appeal the decision of the Tuition Classification Officer. The decision of the appeals committee is final and will not be overturned by the Colorado Department of Higher Education (CDHE).

CCA reserves the right to correct tuition classification after the deadline in cases where the college believes an error was made.

For more information regarding residency and tuition classification, please visit the Colorado Department of Higher Education’s website at or contact the Admissions, Registration and Records Office at 303-360-4797.

Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) Program

Students who are residents of Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE) states may be eligible to request a reduced Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) tuition rate which is less than the non-resident rate. WICHE states include Alaska, Arizona, California, Commonwealth of Northern Islands, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.

Students applying for the WUE program must provide evidence of domicile in the qualifying states and will be required to reapply for WUE each academic year.

Students are not permitted to apply time spent in the WUE program toward satisfaction of residency requirements for tuition purposes. Online courses are not eligible for the WUE tuition rate.


Orientation is mandatory for all students who have never attended college after High School. Orientation will review general information about the Community College of Aurora, financing a college education, technology utilized as a student, registering for courses, and other tips to assist students in starting and completing their degrees at CCA. Students will also completing the assessment test, meet with an academic advisor, and register for classes during orientation. Information and online registration for new student orientation is available at For more additional information, contact the Center for Outreach and Recruitment, Administration Building 102G, 303-360-7522.

Acceptance Letters

Acceptance letters are sent via regular U.S.Mail within one week of application. If a student does not receive a letter or has questions regarding the acceptance letter, please contact the Admissions office, CentreTech Campus, Administration Building, A102, 303-361-7363.

Click arrowheads to expand or collapse contents

Expand allCollapse all

2015-2016 Academic Catalog

Community College of Aurora Catalog

Academic Calendar

College Facilities and Locations

Welcome to the Community College of Aurora

Getting Started and Admissions

Advising and Registration

Financial Matters

Academic Matters

Services for Students

My Student Record

Graduation Requirements

Student Rights and Responsibilities

Catalog Guide

Associate Degrees and Certificates

Course Descriptions

Academic Achievement Courses

Accounting Courses

American Sign Language (ASL) Courses

Agriculture Courses

Agriculture Crops and Soils Courses

Agriculture Economics Courses

Anthropology Courses

Arabic Courses

Art, Design, Jewelry and Photography

Astronomy Courses

Biology Courses

Biotechnology Courses

Business Courses

Chemistry Courses

Chinese Courses

Communication Courses

Community Health Worker

Computer Assisted Drafting Courses

Computer Networking Technology Courses

Computer Information Systems Courses

Computer Science Courses

Computer Web Based Courses

Criminal Justice Courses

Dance Courses

Diesel Power Mechanics Courses

Early Childhood Education Courses

Economics Courses

Education Courses

Electricity Industrial/Commercial Course

Emergency Medical Provider Courses

EMT – Paramedic Courses

Engineering Courses

EGG 151 Experimental Design (Introduction to Experimental Design and Engineering)

EGG 175 Special Topics

EGG 275 Special Topics

English as a Second Language Courses

English Courses

Ethnic Studies Courses

Film and Video Media Courses

Fire Science Technology Courses

French Courses

Geography Courses

Geology Courses

German Courses

Government Courses

Health Professional Courses

Health Wellness Education Courses

Hebrew Courses

History Courses

Humanities Courses

Italian Courses

Japanese Courses

Journalism Courses

Law Enforcement Academy Courses

Literature Courses

Management Courses

Marketing Courses

Mathematics Courses

Meteorology Courses

Multimedia & Graphic Design

Music Courses

Music Private Instruction Courses

Natural Resource Courses

Occupational Safety Course

Paralegal Courses

Philosophy Courses

Photography Courses

Physical Education Courses

Physics Courses

Political Science Courses

Psychology Courses

Public Security Management Courses

Real Estate Courses

Respiratory Care Courses

Russian Courses

Science Courses

Small Business Management Courses

Sociology Courses

Spanish Courses

Speech Courses

Study Skills Courses

Theatre Courses

Translation and Interpretation Courses

Women’s Studies Courses

Administration and Staff

Faculty and Staff