ANNOUNCEMENT: Most spring 2021 classes will once again be offered online/remotely. Learn more about the spring 2021 semester.

Types of Financial Aid

Skip to:

Grants Work-Study
Federal Loans Scholarships


Grants are considered gift assistance and are provided from federal, state, and institutional sources. In general, students must be enrolled in a minimum of six credit hours per semester in order to receive funds from most of the following programs. Any exception to this six-credit-hour rule is noted in the actual program description.

  • Federal Pell Grant (PELL) Program
    This program is the foundation for other forms of aid. It is federally funded and designed for undergraduate students. Eligibility is determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The amount of the grant is determined by a federal funding formula, the cost of attendance, and the enrollment status of students. Rules regulating eligibility are set at the national level and apply to students no matter where they attend school.
  • Colorado Student Grant (CSG) Program
    This program is funded by the State of Colorado General Assembly. The primary purpose of this grant is to provide financial resources to undergraduate Colorado residents who would otherwise be unable to pursue a post-secondary education. Eligibility is determined by the formula for Pell eligibility, determined by completion of the FAFSA and funds are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. 
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) Program
    This program is for undergraduate students with exceptional financial need and priority is given to students who receive Federal Pell Grants. Eligibility is determined by the FAFSA and funds are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis.

Federal Loans

The Community College of Aurora participates in the Federal Direct Loan Program and Direct Loans services all loans for the Colorado Community College System.

Requesting a Student Loan

Students wishing to borrow a Federal Stafford Loan must have a completed FAFSA on file with CCA before submitting the following documentation: 

STEP 1:  Complete Entrance Counseling and Master Promissory Note.

  1. Go to
  2. Log in using your Federal Student Aid ID and password.
  3. Select the "Complete Counseling" link.
  4. Select the "Entrance Counseling" link from the "Choose Loan Counseling Type" menu.
  5. Answer the questions on each page of counseling - click the "Submit" button at the bottom of the last page.  After submitting the counseling, you should see an "Entrance Counseling Summary" page confirming that "you have successfully completed Entrance Counseling."
  6. In the gray menu on the left side of the screen, look under the "Master Promissory Note" section and select "Complete MPN."
  7. On the next page, select "Complete Subsidized/Unsubsidized MPN."
  8. Answer the questions on each page of the promissory note - click the "Submit" button at the bottom of the last page.  You should see a confirmation that "You have successfully submitted your MPN."
  9. will send an electronic confirmation of both documents to CCA within a week.

STEP 2:  Accept Loan Offer (Available once you receive your Financial Aid Award Letter.)

  1. Log in to your MyCCA account.
  2. Click on the "Student Finance" tab.
  3. In the "My Financial Aid Information" box, select the "Accept Your Awards" link.
  4. Select the appropriate aid year.
  5. Click on "Accept Award Offer."
  6. You can accept, reduce, or decline the award offer on the next screen.

Loan Adjustment

If you would like to increase or adjust the accepted loan amount, you may complete Loan Adjustment Form to request the change.

If you want to apply for an one-term loan, you must be:

  • Graduating at the end of the semester; or
  • Enrolled as full-time police academy student.

Loan Application Priority Deadlines

  • Fall semester: October 31st
  • Spring semester: March 31st
  • Summer semester: June 30th

Subsidized Loan Limitations

As of July 1, 2013, federal limitations were implemented on borrowing Direct Subsidized Stafford Loans. More information regarding this regulation can be found in the Federal Student Aid document: Time Limitation on Direct Subsidized Stafford Loans.

Parents of dependent students may also take out loans through the Direct Loan PLUS Program by submitting a PLUS Direct Loan Master Promissory Note and a PLUS loan Application (available here).

Alternative Loans

CCA will also work with alternative lenders for loans. Please contact us for assistance.

Direct Loan Exit Counseling

Students who have received student loans at CCA are required to complete Direct Loan Exit Counseling if any of the following apply:

  • Currently enrolled in less than 6 credits
  • Withdrawn from school
  • Graduated

National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS)

The National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) is the U.S. Department of Education’s central database for student financial aid records. Federal loans disbursed to students or parents will be submitted to NSLDS and will be accessible by guaranty agencies, lenders, and institutions determined to be authorized users of the data system. Student and parent borrowers can track and manage their federal student loans and grants online at The secured site displays information on loans and grants, including amounts, outstanding balances and status. Student and parent borrowers can also find contact information for their loan servicer.


CCA participates in two work study programs with award amounts based on the applicant’s documented need. These programs provide part time employment for eligible students to earn money to fund their education. To be considered for work study awards, students must indicate an interest in work-study employment on the FAFSA. Work-study positions are located on both the CCA CentreTech and Lowry campuses. 

Positions are also available to tutor math and reading to elementary, middle and high school students at various community schools and non-profit community agencies.

To the extent practical, CCA will attempt to provide employment that complements and reinforces the educational and vocational career goals of each student. Students earnings are restricted to the amount of their award.

The State of Colorado provides limited funds for employment of students who do not necessarily have a financial need; these students may qualify for Colorado No-Need work study. Applicants must be Colorado residents for tuition purposes.


Apply NowGet Info



Main Menu