In-person student services now available at the Community College of Aurora. Learn more about how to schedule and check in for appointments here:


An international student is any student who will attend CCA while holding a valid non-immigrant visa. This includes students who are seeking or currently hold an F-1, J-1, H-1, or any other visa. Applicants who are U.S. citizens, permanent residents, refugees, asylees, or who have no visa ARE NOT considered international students and should complete the domestic application process.


An I-20 is a “Certificate of Eligibility for Non-immigrant (F-1) Student Status for Academic and Language Students.” The completed form verifies that an international student has been admitted to an academic program for full-time enrollment and has shown evidence of financial support for at least one academic year. A Form I-20 is issued by a Designated School Official (DSO), who is usually an International Admissions Counselor or International Student Advisor. The form is used by prospective international students to request an F-1 non-immigrant student visa.


New students: Any non-citizen who wishes to obtain an F-1 student visa or to change an existing immigration status to F-1 must first obtain an I-20 to verify their admission to a qualified school. Most I-20s are requested by students who are outside the U.S. and plan to apply for a student visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate in their home country. A significant number of I-20s are also requested by individuals already in the U.S. on other kinds of temporary visas (i.e., exchange participants, diplomats, employee of an international organization), and who need apply for a change of status in order to study. Transfer students: Students in the U.S. who already have F-1 status with an I-20 from another school must obtain a new I-20 from CCA. Each I-20 is valid only for the school named on the form.


Your I-20 will be issued after you have been admitted to CCA and submitted proper financial support documentation. Please indicate where you would like your I-20 sent on your application. If your address changes, please notify the International Student Advisor as soon as possible. Transfer students must submit a SEVIS Transfer Form which is to be completed by the student and the international advisor at the current institution.


If you are currently in some other legal non-immigrant status (such as B-1/B-2, F-2, J-2, or H-4) and intend to study, you must first request a change of status to the F-1 visa. Because the change of status process can take 8 to 12 weeks, it is important to begin the process early. In some cases, it may be faster to leave the U.S. and schedule a visa interview at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Please contact the International Student Advisor for more information. You may also use the Checklist for Change of Status as a reference. If your current visa status allows you to study as a degree seeking student, you are not required to change visa status.


Yes. More than one source of funding is permitted in order to meet the financial support requirements. An Affidavit of Financial Support must be completed for each bank statement that is submitted on your behalf.


Yes. International students are permitted to work on campus for up to 20 hours per week. On campus employment is not guaranteed and can be arranged once you arrive on campus.

Apply NowGet Info



Main Menu