Company Title: Mile High Youth Corps
Job Title: YouthBuild Crew Leader: Health and Wellness
Job Type: Full-Time
Description of Work:
Summary: The YouthBuild Crew Leader: Health and Wellness oversees crews of 10 youth ages 18-24 attending a certified nurse aide (CNA) program at a local community college while performing health and wellness related service at Denver area nonprofits. The YouthBuild Crew Leader: Health and Wellness is responsible for maintaining safe worksite practices, providing academic support during CNA training and clinical, service project supervision, maintaining cohesive program implementation, and providing training and leadership development opportunities. This position works closely with community college faculty and staff to support curriculum learning and with health and wellness service partners to assist with project completion and maximizing training opportunities for Corpsmembers. Reports directly to the Program Manager: YouthBuild.
Supervision & Management
• Provide daily supervision and health and wellness education training to a crew of up to 10 young people enrolled in CNA classes and serving in local nonprofits in health and wellness positions.
• Act as a positive role model to all Corpsmembers and promote a positive Corps culture.
• Enforce the code of conduct, discipline policies, and program procedures outlined in the Employee Handbook and in conjunction with various YouthBuild grant guidelines.
• Provide both positive feedback and constructive criticism for the day’s work and address means for improvement. Implement and follow-through with consequences and rewards as appropriate.
• Facilitate the daily development of job skills with Corpsmembers, reinforcing skills taught in the job readiness training curriculum when possible.
• Provide academic support to YouthBuild Corpsmembers in the areas of basic nursing skills, communication skills, restorative services, personal care skills, and safety and emergency care.
• Ensure all Corpsmembers follow proper safety procedures and protocols, including MHYC, OSHA, and HIPAA standards.
• Support additional training opportunities provided by service partners.
• Consistently and proactively communicate with YouthBuild team members regarding Corpsmembers’ behavior, successes, issues, and concerns.
• Maintain Corpsmember confidentiality.
• Oversee and provide support regarding Corpsmember progress in CNA training program and state certification preparation.
• Serve as a liaison and on-site contact with community college faculty and staff, service partner staff, and other project sponsors.
• Distribute work among Corpsmembers and maintain consistent workflow, ensuring each Corpsmember receives quality service site learning opportunities.
• Assist in completing all project reports, evaluations, and tracking forms in a timely manner.
Corpsmember Development & Education
• Promote individual learning and personal growth among Corpsmembers.
• Participate in and help supervise community service projects.
• Support and encourage Corpsmember participation and progress in the program overall including high school diploma classes, career readiness training, life skills classes, and training programs. Coordinate with other staff members where appropriate to incorporate academic, job skills, service learning opportunities and leadership opportunities across program components.
• Plan and facilitate team-building activities.
• Facilitate the growth of leadership skills amongst Corpsmembers through implementing the service-site leadership roles, providing appropriate feedback and identifying appropriate avenues for individual growth.
• Assist with recruiting, interviewing, and hiring of Corpsmembers.
• Recognize positive accomplishments of Corpsmembers through organization-wide awards and individual acknowledgements within the YouthBuild team.
• Attend relevant staff development trainings, including RiseUp Community School meetings and professional development activities as appropriate.
• Maintain thorough records on Corpsmembers throughout the length of the program, including but not limited to tracking programmatic activities, trainings, skills learned, project accomplishments, daily attendance, and time records.
• Work with YouthBuild team to evaluate Corpsmembers on a regular basis through a formalized review process.
• Provide timely information as needed to meet organization and funder reporting required.
• Complete timely data entry in assigned databases for organization and funder purposes.
• Attend and fully participate in staff meetings, YouthBuild team meetings, other organization, funder, and partner meetings as appropriate.
• Other duties may be assigned as necessary.
Hours & Compensation
This is a full-time, temporary, exempt position with benefits. This position is grant funded. Salary range is $35,000-$40,000 and is commensurate with experience. Hours are arranged upon hire, and will vary between Monday through Thursday, 7:30 am – 4:00 pm, Friday 8:00 am to 4:00 pm. Personal vehicle use may be required. Some evenings and weekends may be required for Corps related functions.
To Apply: Send Resume and Cover Letter to:
Email: email@example.com (include “YouthBuild Crew Leader: Health & Wellness” in the subject line)
Mail: Attn. Staff Jobs, 1801 Federal Blvd., Denver, CO 80204 Please no phone calls or emails. Applicants selected for an interview will be contacted by phone or email.
MHYC is an equal opportunity employer.
MHYC is a tobacco-free organization.
Requirements (Education, Skills Experience):
• High School diploma or equivalent is required.
• Nurse Aide Certificate (or related advanced-level certification) in good standing is required.
• Two years of college or vocational training (or applicable experience) is preferred with a focus in youth development, health and wellness direct service or management, community involvement, or related field.
• Experience working with a diverse group of people in a team atmosphere.
• Experience supervising and/or leading groups of youth.
• A minimum of 2-4 years of CNA or related experience is required.
• Supervision experience in a health and wellness or related setting is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Commitment to help young people succeed in an innovative training program, to reorient their lives, nurture their leadership skills, and enable them to make a difference in their community.
• Ability to motivate, enforce discipline procedures, communicate effectively, and teach safe work practices.
• Ability to organize, motivate, and direct a crew of young people on health and wellness projects.
• Ability to prepare accurate records and reports.
• Must be computer literate. Ability to utilize databases, software programs, and electronic record keeping systems.
• Valid driver’s license with an insurable driving record and ability to drive a 12-passenger van (will be trained and certified if hired.)
• Ability to perform basic nurse aide health care skills.
• Ability to complete tasks in a detailed and timely manner.
• Ability to meet deadlines.
• Superior people skills, including good speaking and writing skills.
• Ability to work well with people from diverse backgrounds.
• Ability to work well with others in a team atmosphere.
• Ability to pass pre-employment background check, drug screening and fingerprint-based FBI check.
• Must be eligible to legally work in the United States, which will be confirmed using the Federal E-Verify system
• Knowledge of Denver Metro Area preferred.
Salary: $35,000- $40,000
Hours: 40 hours per week
Starting Date: 12/12/2016
Closing Date (If less than 30 days):