Frequently Asked Questions
- How long does it take to complete the academic certificate?
Depending on the number of courses you take each semester most certificate programs can be completed within 1 or 2 semesters.
- What if I am interested in a different certificate or degree program?
CCA has a wide variety of Degree and Certificate programs. If you are interested in a program not listed as a SWFI Program Offering, you can still take courses, however, you would not be a participant in the program.
- How long will the grant run?
The grant runs for 4.5 years (Beginning July 2016 and ending December 2020). The Strengthening Working Families Initiative is funded by the US Department of Labor and Employment.
- I have not taken a college course before. How can this program prepare me for college level classes?
Upon acceptance to the SWFI program, students will take a placement test (Accuplacer) that will help determine your English proficiency. Only the English portion of the Accuplacer is required for participation in the SWFI grant. Depending on your scores, you may be required to participate in a bridge program designed to bring your proficiency to the required college level.
- I cannot afford childcare. How can this program help?
Once accepted into the program, you will meet with an Achievement Coach who can assist in applying for CCCAP and/or finding a quality childcare provider. The grant will cover childcare costs from the time you are enrolled in the program until your CCCAP funding is approved.
- How will this program help me with the costs of college?
Upon application to the program, we will help you leverage your financial aid scholarships and grants to cover the costs of college, including transportation costs.
- Can I still participate in the program if I do not live in the city of Aurora or Denver?
Absolutely, this program has no geographic restrictions.
- Can I participate and take these courses online?In light of the COVID-19 outbreak, many courses will be held online with some meeting in person. Please refer to CCA's Fall Semester Plan page for more information.
- What if I am not a custodial parent? Can I still complete the degree/certificate at Community College of Aurora?
Absolutely! You can register online for CCA.
SWFI Home Page and Application
SWFI Eligible Certificate Programs
SWFI Team Contact Information