SCHOLARSHIPS! $500 scholarship available for 1,500 fall semester students! Continuing AND new students may apply! Apply here!

Tuition Rates for Military-Affiliated Students

Colorado law allows for many military-affiliated students (active duty, drilling Guard & Reserves, honorably discharged veterans, and qualifying dependents) to receive the in-state tuition rate.

Documentation must be submitted to Admissions, Records, & Registration to be considered valid.

Active duty and drilling Guard and Reserves service members who are stationed in Colorado and their qualifying dependents must complete a Military Certification for Tuition Classification form each semester to qualify for in-state tuition rates. This form is available on MyCCA, from Admissions, Registration, & Records or Lowry Student Services, and at the Buckley Education Office.

Limitations & Timing

This form must be completed each semester and turned in to Admissions, Registration & Records by the drop deadline for your classes to receive the in-state tuition rate.

The G.I. Promise Act was passed in 2010 and allows for discharged members of the U.S. Armed Forces, including members of the Air Force, Army, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard, National Guard, and the NOAA Officer Corps. who have a character of service of either "Honorable" or "General" on their release from active duty paperwork, to receive the in-state rate of tuition at state institutions in Colorado for up to two (2) years while establishing Colorado residency. Qualifying dependents are also eligible to receive the in-state rate if the veteran lives in Colorado.

Eligibility begins the term following release from active duty. For example, if an eligible person is released from active duty effective October 1 of any year, he/she would be eligible for the benefit for the spring term. Colleges have the flexibility to extend the in-state tuition benefit for any late start courses beginning after release from active duty if the eligible student does not already have registration for courses in the same term that start before the release date. (Since tuition is assessed by term, applying the in-state benefit to late start classes would also apply a tuition refund for any courses already in progress but starting before the eligibility date.)

Limitations & Timing

Acceptable documentation:

  • DD Form 214 member copy 4 OR
  • DD Form 214 service copy 2

This applies even if the eligible student is not able to immediately produce his/her discharge paperwork. It is based on release from active duty date. The student is hereby informed that if given this benefit on the assumption that paperwork is to follow later in the term, he/she will be responsible for non-resident tuition charges if he/she does not turn in the required paperwork by the last day of the term.

Students are eligible to receive this benefit for a maximum of 6 semesters and must petition for residency with Admissions, Records, & Registration after the 6 semesters have been used. Failure to petition will result in students being charged non-resident tuition rates. Post-9/11 GI Bill recipients will be responsible for the difference between the in-state on non-resident portion of tuition.

These students shall remain coded as non-resident (unless they qualify for residency independent of their military discharge status).  

For Dependents:

  • When the parent/spouse (Veteran) is still living, student must present:
    • Discharged parent’s DD214.
    • Student’s military dependent card.
    • Proof that the veteran lives in Colorado (Colo Drivers License or Colo ID card is fine).
    • If the eligible parent (ie the Veteran) lives out of state, student is not eligible.
  • When the parent (Veteran) is deceased, student must present:
    • Vet’s DD214.
    • ID Card showing veteran is deceased. 
    • Proof that the dependent is now in Colorado (again Colo License is easiest but anything will work as long as it’s apparent that the student lives here).

The Veterans Access, Choice and Accountability Act of 2014 (Choice Act) requires that public schools grant in-state tuition rates to students using the Post-9/11 GI Bill and Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty.

Students qualify for in-state rates in Colorado if they are receiving either the Post-9/11 GI Bill or Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty and meet one or more of the following:

  • A Veteran who lives in Colorado and enrolls in the school within three years of discharge from a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.
  • An individual using transferred benefits who lives in Colorado and enrolls in the school within three years of the transferor’s discharge from a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.
  • An individual using transferred benefits who lives in Colorado and the transferor is currently serving on active duty.
  • An individual using benefits under the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship who lives in Colorado and enrolls in the school within three years of the Servicemember’s death in the line of duty following a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.

Students who meet the criteria above will retain their eligibility for in-state tuition rates as s/he remains continuously enrolled (other than during regularly scheduled breaks between terms) at CCA. Students must submit either a DD214 to Military & Veteran Services or a Military Certification for Tuition Classification to Admissions, Registration & Records to qualify. Eligible students will be automatically coded to receive the in-state rate under the Choice Act when their enrollment is reported to VA each term.

The in-state tuition provisions in Section 702 do not apply to students using transferred Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits from a Servicemember who separated from the military more than 3 years prior to the student starting classes at CCA.

Contact Admissions, Registration, & Records at 303-360-4700 if you have questions regarding your residency classification.

Apply NowGet Info



Main Menu