Skip to main content

Military & Veteran Getting Started Checklist

Starting college is a big step, but we're here to help. Here's what you need to do:

Step 1Apply for CCA Admission
If you are new to CCA or have been away from CCA for a year or more, you need to complete the online application for admission. There is no deadline or fee to apply.
Step 2Apply for COF
If you are a Colorado resident for tuition purposes and did not sign-up for COF through your admissions application, you can sign-up online. The COF application is free and can save you hundreds of dollars each semester on your tuition. This is a onetime application but you need to authorize COF each semester.
Honorably discharged veterans and their dependents who have lived in Colorado for less than one (1) year may qualify for COF under Colorado House Bill 1039 by submitting valid discharge papers. You may need to complete a paper application for benefits if you do not have a Colorado driver’s license.
Honorably discharged veterans and their dependents who have lived in Colorado for less than one (1) year may qualify for resident tuition under Colorado House Bill 1039 by submitting valid discharge papers.
Active duty service members must complete a Military Certification for Tuition Classification form each semester to qualify for resident tuition rates. This form is available on the Student Tab of MyCCA under Registration & Records Forms or from Admissions & Records or Lowry Student Services.
If you’re using VA benefits, apply on the GI Bill® website and click on Apply for GI Bill® Benefits. Choose from the following forms:
22-1990 if you have served in the military and are applying for education benefits for the first time.
22-1990e if a parent or spouse transferred their Post-9/11 GI Bill to you.
22-1995 if you applied for benefits at another school and are transferring.
22-5490 if you are a dependent of a deceased or 100% disabled Veteran (spouse or child) applying for education benefits for the first time.
22-5495 if you are a dependent who applied for benefits at another school and are transferring.

Bring the printed VA education application or email confirmation to Military & Veteran Services along with your DD214, member copy 4, to get started. Once you have received your Certificate of Eligibility please bring a copy in for your records. If you paid an additional $600 for a kicker you will need to provide proof of the (kicker) payment. If you are Selective Reserves or National Guard you need to supply a NOBE, which you can get from your unit.
Step 5Apply for Financial Aid
Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at to see if you are eligible for any kind of aid (grants, loans, work study and scholarships). The application process can take 6-8 weeks to complete, so apply early! CCA has three priority consideration dates during the year. Fall Semester-May 1, Spring Semester-November 1, Summer Semester-April 1. Your financial aid file is not complete until you receive an award letter.

Financial aid through the government will not affect your GI Bill® benefits. Some scholarships can affect your benefits. Please let Military & Veteran Services know if you will be receiving a scholarship.
Step 6Transfer to CCA
CCA accepts credit for prior learning for students who have previously attended a college other than CCA or who have completed standardized exams such as CLEP, AP, and IB. Courses that apply to your declared degree or certificate program at CCA will be applied. Please visit CCA’s Transferring to CCA page for more information.
Don’t forget to request your military transcripts, you could save valuable time! Transcripts are required by your 3rd semester in order for CCA to report your enrollment to Veterans Affairs. Additional information on ordering your transcripts is available here.
Step 7Take the Assessment Test
You must provide evidence of college readiness before signing up for courses. To determine which courses you should take, you must complete the ACCUPLACER or Levels of English Proficiency (LOEP) Assessment if you are 1) a degree or certificate-seeking student, 2) registering for a course with any prerequisites, or 3) under the age of 20 (regardless of degree/ certificate status).
You are not required to assess if you have done one of the following: 1) you have completed the ACT, SAT or ACCUPLACER exam in the last 5 years, or 2) if you have evidence of an Associate of Arts Degree or higher, or 3) evidence of a C or higher in prior College-Level English and Math courses. (Please note that English courses taken out-side of the United States do not meet the Assessment or Transfer guidelines.)
Scores matter! If your ACT or SAT scores do not place you into college-level coursework, CCA recommends that you take the ACCUPLACER or LOEP Assessment to see if you are eligible for higher placement.
Step 8Attend New Student Orientation
If you have never attended college after High School, you are required to participate in New Student Orientation. Orientation helps you to successfully navigate the college experience, prepares you to meet with Academic Advisors and select classes, and assists you in the registration process. If you are a new student, you will have a hold placed on your account to prevent registration until you have participated in orientation.
Step 9See an Academic Advisor
After meeting assessment requirements and attending orientation (if applicable), you are ready to meet with an Academic Advisor. Your Advisor will be able to guide you in selecting the right courses to complete a degree or certificate at CCA and/or to transfer to the 4-year institution of your choice. *Advisors for cohort based programs are located in the Student Success Center.
Crunched for time? You can schedule an appointment with an advisor on your schedule here.
Step 10Register for Courses
Register for courses through your MyCCA account (link available from CCA’s website). Although we can’t register you over the phone or via email, we can guide you through the process. Please contact Admissions or an advisor should you have any questions. Remember to print your schedule a few days before the semester begins to get current room information.
The VA Certification Request must be submitted each semester you want to use benefits. This is the notification to CCA that you want to use your benefits. Early submission of the request is important so that CCA and the VA have plenty of time to process your information so that your payments will not be delayed.
Step 12USING TA BENEFITS - Tuition Assistance
Once you’re registered for classes, you need to submit your Tuition Assistance request to your respective Education Office. When you receive the approved TA request, you must turn it in to Fiscal Affairs. Approved TA forms should be submitted by the tuition deadline listed in the schedule booklet or your registration may be cancelled. Additional information is available here.
Degree plans: Students who are required to provide degree plans to receive approved TA can obtain them by logging on to the MyCCA portal. Once logged in using your student ID and password, go to the Student tab, Steps to Graduate box and click on "Degree Check". Print the degree document and bring to your education office/representative.
Step 13Pay your Tuition
Don’t lose your spot in your classes! Each semester, CCA publishes a tuition due-date. You must have your payment arrangements FINALIZED by this deadline to hold your spot in classes. CCA recommends that you complete a payment plan as soon as you register. Early signup allows you a small (or zero) down payment and spreads out your payments over several months. Financial Aid will only hold your spot in classes if you have received an award letter.
If you are receiving education benefits through the Post-9/11 GI Bill® or Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment and have submitted a Request for VA Certification or have submitted an approved Tuition Assistance request you do not need to make payment arrangements.
All other benefit chapters MUST have other arrangements to be held in classes.
Step 14Buy your Books
Take your schedule to the bookstore to purchase your books. Buy your books before classes begin to be prepared.
Step 15Get your Student ID
Stop by the Welcome Center at the CentreTech Campus or Lowry Student Services office with government issued photo ID to get your CCA Student ID card.
Step 16Activate your Email
Your college email account is the official method of communication at CCA, so it is extremely important that you activate your account and check it frequently. To activate your account, login to your MyCCA account and click the “Student Email” link at the top of the page. Your initial password is your date of birth spelled out (for example: February141992).
Step 17Activate your Debit Card
A little more than a week after you register for classes, your Higher One Debit card will arrive in the mail (look for the bright green envelope). This card will be used to apply your financial aid or any other refund so it is important that you look for the card and activate it when it arrives!


GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at





Main Menu