Fall Classes: The majority of fall 2020 classes will be offered online/remote. Learn more about the fall 2020 semester.

Undocumented Students

Community College of Aurora is an open-door institution which allows any student to attend, regardless of citizenship. We value our diverse student body. People with varied experiences make our campuses and class discussions richer.

Below we address some of questions undocumented students may have. For more specific questions about ASSET and DACA, visit our ASSET and DACA resource page.

Does CCA ask for immigration status when students enroll?

Community College of Aurora is an open-door institution which allows any student to attend, regardless of citizenship. We do not ask for immigration status, but we ask about citizenship status. This helps determine your tuition. Undocumented, ASSET (Advancing Students for a Stronger Economy Tomorrow), and DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) students should choose the "Non-U.S. Citizen" option on the application.

How does immigration status affect tuition?

Undocumented students cannot receive federal or state financial aid. They may have to pay non-resident tuition.

In Colorado, undocumented students can apply for ASSET to pay in-state tuition and receive the College Opportunity Fund (COF) tuition discount.
ASSET students who have also applied for and received Federal DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival) can qualify for in-state tuition and the COF tuition discount.
Undocumented students may apply for scholarships, including scholarships awarded by the CCA Foundation.

Would CCA ever share immigration status with federal immigration officials?

In most cases, the Family Education Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA) protects education records. We would only share information about immigration status if an official produces a legal order (subpoena or search warrant) to seek information on a student. We review all legal orders with our attorney before sharing documents.

What does CCA do to ensure that no student or family is discriminated against or harassed because of race, ethnicity, religion, or national origin?

We believe deeply in diversity and inclusion. We don't tolerate discrimination or harassment. Our policies mandate no discrimination or harassment of students, families, or employees based on race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, or many other protected classes.

What should I do if I believe I am the victim of discrimination or harassment?

Complete this Harassment, Discrimination, and Retaliation Online complaint form. CCA will take necessary action.

What if I'm a DACA student?

DACA is based on an order from former President Obama. It is a federal policy that applies to many young people who immigrated to the United States as children. It allows them to apply for a renewable, two-year period where the government would defer action on their immigration status. It also may provide them authorization to work. Even though President Obama has left office, DACA is still in effect. President Trump has not taken action on it, but any President could rescind the order. If you are a recipient of DACA, consider contacting an immigration attorney now to determine your options. Additional information can be found at American Council on Education DACA Issue Brief.

What if I have or plan to apply for ASSET?

ASSET is a Colorado state law that allows some immigrant students to receive in-state tuition at Colorado public higher education institutions. It does not affect immigration status or lawful presence. ASSET cannot be rescinded by a president or federal administration in the same way DACA can. Visit the ASSET website for more information.

What can I do to better understand my immigration rights?

Consult an immigration attorney. For your own protection, do not seek advice from anyone except licensed immigration attorneys. See a list of resources. You can find an immigration attorney from the American Immigration Lawyers Association in English or Spanish.

Do similar policies apply to international students?

Undocumented, DACA, and ASSET students are not international students. International students have a student visa or intend to get a student visa to attend CCA. Their main residence is outside the United States. CCA welcomes students from around the world. For questions about international student issues, contact internationaladvisor@ccaurora.edu. Students on F or J visas have largely waived their rights under FERPA through the visa process.

Apply NowGet Info



Main Menu