ANNOUNCEMENT: Most spring 2021 classes will once again be offered online/remotely. Learn more about the spring 2021 semester.

Undocumented FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions for Undocumented Students

Below we address some of questions students who are undocumented may have.

Does CCA ask for immigration status when students enroll?

Community College of Aurora is an open-door institution, which allows any student to attend, regardless of citizenship. We do not ask for immigration status; we only ask about citizenship status because this helps determine your tuition.

How does immigration status affect tuition?

Tuition is determined by factors such as state residency and citizenship.

Students who are undocumented or DACA recipients may qualify for ASSET (Advancing Students for a Stronger Economy Tomorrow), which provides students with in-state tuition rates.  See the ASSET page for eligibility requirements.  ASSET students who have also applied for and received federal DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival) status can qualify for in-state tuition and the Colorado Opportunity Fund (COF) tuition discount.

Students who have F-1 visas are charged non-resident tuition.

CCA does provide institutional and foundation scholarships for students who are undocumented.  To be considered for CCA Foundation scholarships, students must apply to be considered for them.

Would CCA ever share immigration status with federal immigration officials?

In most cases, the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) protects education records. We would only share information about immigration status if an official produces a legal order (subpoena or search warrant) to seek information on a student. We review all legal orders with our attorney before sharing documents.

What does CCA do to ensure that no student or family is discriminated against or harassed because of race, ethnicity, religion, or national origin?

We believe deeply in diversity and inclusion. We don't tolerate discrimination or harassment. Our policies mandate no discrimination or harassment of students, families, or employees based on race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, or many other protected classes.

Moreover, CCA is a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI) and a Minority-Serving Institution (MSI), so we strive to strengthen and expand our programs, facilities, and services for Latinx students and other minoritized populations.

What should I do if I believe I am the victim of discrimination or harassment?

Complete this Harassment, Discrimination, and Retaliation Online complaint form. CCA will take necessary action.

What if I'm a DACA student?

DACA is based on an order from former President Obama. It is a federal policy that applies to many young people who immigrated to the United States as children. It allows them to apply for a renewable, two-year period where the government would defer action on their immigration status. It also may provide them authorization to work. The June 18, 2020 Supreme Court ruling means that DACA remains in effect. Please consult an immigration attorney if you are seeking to renew your DACA status or would like to apply for DACA in the future.

What if I have or plan to apply for ASSET?

ASSET is a Colorado state law that allows some immigrant students to receive in-state tuition at Colorado public higher education institutions. It does not affect immigration status or lawful presence. ASSET cannot be rescinded by a president or federal administration in the same way DACA can. Visit the ASSET website for more information.

What can I do to better understand my immigration rights?

Consult an immigration attorney. For your own protection, do not seek advice from anyone except licensed immigration attorneys. See a list of immigration resources. You can find an immigration attorney from the American Immigration Lawyers Association in English or American Immigration Lawyers in Spanish.

Do similar policies apply to international students?

Undocumented, DACA, and ASSET students are not international students. International students have a student visa or intend to get a student visa to attend CCA. Their main residence is outside the United States. CCA welcomes students from around the world. For questions about international student issues, contact Students on F or J visas have largely waived their rights under FERPA through the visa process.

Apply NowGet Info



Main Menu